Looking for an exceedingly family-friendly beach this summer?
Head on down to Long Beach Island, suggests Family Vacation Critic, the website from Ewing-based TripAdvisor subsidiary The Independent Traveler. Each year, the site names its 10 best beaches for families, and LBI is the one beach from New Jersey to make the cut for 2017.
Other beaches picked for the unranked list include shores of all kinds (they need not be oceans) in Florida, Delaware, California, Oregon, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Wisconsin and New York. All of the beaches picked had to have lifeguards, nearby accommodations and activities for children.
Editors cited the Ocean County barrier island’s “18 miles of shoreline for sandcastle building and boogie boarding, with lifeguards patrolling many areas” as a draw of LBI, along with the reopening of Beach Haven’s Surflight Theatre on June 23 — “Footloose” and a full slate of children’s productions, starting with “Cinderella,” begin that month — and its ShowPlace Ice Cream Parlour.
The list also recommends Fantasy Island Amusement Park for children, given its variety of free music and magic shows.
Last year, Family Vacation Critic named the Wildwoods to the same list. LBI last made the list in 2013.
Here are the other locations from Family Vacation Critic’s 10 Best Beaches for Families list for 2017:
- Jones Beach State Park, Wantagh, N.Y.
- Ponce Inlet, Ponce Inlet, Fla.
- Rehoboth Beach, Rehoboth Beach, Del.
- Coronado Beach, Coronado, Calif.
- Balboa Beach, Newport Beach, Calif.
- North Beach Park, Racine, Wis. (Lake Michigan)
- Coast Guard Beach, Eastham, Mass.
- Weirs Beach, Weirs Beach, N.H. (Lake Winnipesaukee)
- Seaside Beach, Seaside, Ore.